Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bunch of old people get together

Thursday, June 5th the Marietta class of 54' met at the home of Don and Diane Birkel in Columbus Ne. It was the first time in 54 years that I had seen two of them. I didn't know what they would look like but Marita ( Mert ) looked like an older sister that I had seen more recently, and Willy looked like a laid back gradually graying younger Willy. At our ages the chance of getting together are getting slimmer each year. Two of our Graduating class have been deceased for quite a few years. Also two have lost their spouses. Some of us have some health issues that could get worse in time. I had a ball at the get together! I think everyone did. We reminisced about school days, ball teams and fun times we had in school. I guess I was kind of ornery. (who me? ) I know I hold the title of the only one to give a Nun a nervous breakdown. None of us laid claim to being overly good students, although there are some that I thought were. At least the ones I copied from gave me passing grades. The only problem was the Nuns wouldn't let them accompany me to the blackboard to do Algebra problems. Talking of the Nuns, when I arrived at that school we would eat our lunches in some body's car. The first day a couple of Nuns came out of the school. The Rerucha boys said; "here come the crows, here come the crows"! I thought they were all going to hell when they did that. I gradually adapted to their ways. We had nicknames for the Nuns. Sister Maxentia was " Max", Sister Lautencia was " Louce", and Sister Rosalina was "Rosie". Mandantory subjects were Latin (two years) Speech (four years), Biology,algebra .Geometry,Physics, English,General Business etc... There were no selective classes. We also had Religion classes daily. Everyone who went to that school was issued a band instrument and taught how to play it by Father Cooper. When Father Cooper was in High School he had a team of horses and a wagon which served as a school bus, The horse knew where all the stops were and he would teach himself how to play every instrument he could get a hold of.I was given a baritone horn and learned to play it but didn't care all that much about being in a band. Finally in my Sophomore year one of my front teeth got infected. I had it pulled and Doc Parker attached a false tooth to the other front tooth and when I played the horn it vibrated so I told Father Cooper and he let me out of the band. I did learn to read music which was a plus. Any way like I said I had a ball at the reunion. Willey and I pointed at Keith, sitting across the table and I told Willey to laugh. Keith who is hard of hearing wanted to know what we said. All we wanted to do is see if his face would turn red, which it did. Seems I still have a little bit of that orneriness in me. I think we decided to try to get together every year. At least the ones living in Nebraska. Bye for now,

Old Irish

5 comments:

JunesHGP said...

Finally more writing from Old Irish. I just love it. And it sounds like you had a TON of fun.
Glad to know the "ornery" never leaves!!!

Colleen said...

Betcha the girls were REALLY chasing you with a missing front tooth!

Did you ever secure a location for where the scrapbook went?

JunesHGP said...

Happy Father's Day old Irish!!

Colleen said...

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I sent you a little something (and I mean little, it didn't cost me a dime,) but have a peaceful relaxing day today! (If you can with a pending hail storm before noon!)

Anonymous said...

Dad, I mean it when I say you should write a book. You have a gift with words. I speak for the entire family, immediate and extended, when I say everyone enjoys reading your prose! Don't ever lose your muse.

-Kellie