Sunday, June 22, 2008

Windows Casper

I just have to tell you a few things about a guy I used to hang out with before going into the Marines. His name was Wendel but we called him windows. Maybe because his glasses were so thick. One day we went swimming at the local pool. We were laying around the pool soaking up some sun when we decided to go for a swim. Windows took off his glasses and said 'which way is the pool"? He couldn't see a darn thing without his glasses. He got a job working for Ferd McKenzie at the Standard Market where I worked for Louie McKenzie cutting meat. His dad was a successful business man in Bruning where Windows grew up. Windows said his dad nearly starved his family during the depression so he could buy up forclosed farms and property. He was really wealthy. Ferd wanted to know what Windows wanted to work for him for. Windows told him his dad said if he wanted to learn business he should work for Ferd McKenzie. That was good enough for Ferd. He was a good worker and fun to be around. One day he asked Ferd if he could get a haircut. Ferd said "why dontyou get a haircut on your own time?" Windows said "It grows on your time." he let him get a haircut. One time Windows was standing in the aisle when the overhead heater came on. Windows looked up and said "who told you you could come on without Ferds permission! We ran around together for quite a while. In fact he was one of the reasons I joined the Marines. We had been to Deshler and coming back to Hebron we were supposed to turn and stop at a stopsign as the road we were on was one way going west for a little ways. I was driving and at Windows urging we took the short cut as he called it. There was no traffic in sight so I did it. Shortly after we passed the State scales where I had a friend named Red working there. By the time we hit the curve going north into town I noticed a car was following me with the red lights in the bumper flashing. I said thats Red playing games with us. I sped up and pretty soon I heard a siren wailing. Red aint got a siren on the Scales car I said. Turn on the river road said Windows, and turn into J.D.'slane. They cant follow you on private property. Wanna bet? He followed us right up to J.D.'s folks yard. While the patrolman was talking to me Windows started telling him who his dad was, and that he knew the governor and he would have his job.I had to shut him up but it was too late. I got a ticket for willful reckless driving. The penalty was a 50 dollar fine and license suspended for six months. Thats when I asked Lyle to talk to the recruiter. If I had to walk I figured I might as well walk off my Military obligation. In a couple of weeks I was in San Diego in Boot camp. When I got out 2 yrs. later I came home for a couple months then moved to California. I never hung out with Windows anymore.

Old Irish

4 comments:

Bobbie said...

Like your story Bob, Tell us another one !!

Colleen said...

Ah-ha! The story BEHIND the story!

There's still an urban legend that you can't get a DUI if you make it into your driveway, I guess teens will never learn!

Anonymous said...

So that's what happened! Good one Dad!

-Kellie

Colleen said...

Hello?

Hello?

Hello.... anybody out there?