Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Saint Anthony

Saint Anthony is the patron saint of lost things. When a child I prayed to him to help me find any possesion I had lost or misplaced. Since I had very few posessions it was a disaster if I lost or misplaced one. I cant remember ever not finding one if I asked for Saint Anthonys help. I can remember a church publication called Saint Anthonys messenger. The nuns would send us kids out to give copys to protestants in the neighborhood. Most of them looked at me with the same disdain as I have for Jehovas witnesses who come to my door. A good evangelist I was not! Through the years I had pretty much forgot about the power of this saint, until yesterday. Colleen had given me a little I pod or mp3 player, (dont remember which, but I love it.) for Christmas and loaded it with a bunch of my favorite songs. The charger hooked up to the computer. After charging I always left it on the shelf above the computer desk drawer. Like my Dad with his tools I didn't put it away somewhere if I intended to use it again in the near future. It laid there for many months. A few days ago I needed to charge my ipod but when I brought it to the computer guess what? No charger! I looked everywhere in that room to no avail. Every day I would search again. I searched all the desk junk drawers in the house. I checked my dresser drawers. No charger. I was going to go to Best Buy in hopes they would have some for sale. Yesterday I checked my dresser drawers again. Most of my things I think I need to save usually end up in one of the top two drawers. Still nothing. Thats when I prayed to Saint Anthony who never failed me when I was a little kid. Futilly I searched a few more drawers. The last drawer was the bottom one. Im usually too lazy to ever put anything in that drawer because I would have to bend down to get to it. But I bent down and opened it and there it was! My long lost charger. Bobbie said she never put it there. I sure dont remember me putting it there either. I guess the moral of the story is you are never too big a kid to go back to your childhood ways to solve a problem. Thank you Saint Anthony!

Old Irish

9 comments:

Bobbie said...

What you aren't telling everybody is, you looked for it for days and swore I lost it for you. I can't imagine either one of us putting it in that BOTTOM drawer!

Just glad you found it....

Good story too.

Colleen said...

Hmm... suppose another Anthony might have got you in this fix in the first place... (Corey Anthony.)

He's not a big fan of things that impede his computer searches, ya know. And he can easily reach the bottom drawer.

I get nervous when I can't find my IPod, too. What would I listen to when I mow?

JunesHGP said...

I like this story - reminds me of the many things that have come up lost over here lately...

Anonymous said...

Dad, another great story. Glad to see he still remembers you!

-Kellie

Colleen said...

Hmm... time to kick you in the butt and tell you to update your blog! (It's not easy being me.)

Colleen said...

Gee, Dad, thought you went in for kidney work, but apparently YOU had surgery on both hands?

Anonymous said...

OLd Irish doesn't need both hands for the computer keyboard, he just uses his right index finger. Must be scratching with it!

Anonymous said...

Actually I use two fingers. One to type with and one to gesture to people who dont sign their names or otherwise try to annoy me.

Old Irish

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a light case of "Old Timers" to me!!! I get that at the oddest times! Good to see you up and about even if it was at a funeral. Sherry