Saturday, November 1, 2008

Someone I will never forget.

Yesterday , along with my favorite sister Meg, I drove to my home town. I dont go there very often, usually only on Memorial day to visit the resting place of my parents and other ancestors. We got there early and went first to the Lutheran home to visit some people.We couldnt find them right away so we drove around the old home town, past the now vacent lot where our parents last lived, and around the neighborhoods where we picked out the homes of people we remembered when we were much younger. That part of the trip was so enjoyable to the both of us. We discussed what it was like for each of us growing up in our family. It is a good thing to reminisce about those times. There were things that brought up what seemed hurtfull to us at times but which over time they became trivial compared to what our parents had to go through to raise such a large family while worrying about what to feed us during the depression years , having sons and a daughter in the war, and mom having a husband that she thought was going to die because of his bad health all at the same time. We were so blessed to have had such strong parents. We went backto the home and were able to visit the people we came to see. The one I wanted most to see was Francie Rauner. I became friends with Francie when I joined the Knights of Columbus when I turned 18. We worked together on the initiation team with the K.C's. We also played with the K.C. softball team every summer. Francie was one of those people you just had to like. I never knew anyone that had met him that didn't like and respect him.He was all the things that I would like to be as I approached manhood. He was a big man with a big heart. He was married to Megs very good friend Rose. Roses sister Kathy is also our sister in law so in that sense we are related. The Rauners were always there to support us when there was a death in our family.That always meant so much to me as we buried brothers and sisters and their spouses. Francie was a hard working farmer. He and Rose raised a beautiful family on that farm through tough times and good times. They both were hard workers on the farm and with Church functions. Francie was a roll model for many of our nephews. He was a very large and very gentle man. The reason I am writing this is that Francie is suffering from terminal cancer. He has lived longer than the doctors expectations. Soon he will be in that place God has prepared for him and will be watching down and helping his family from his heavenly home. His children are a great comfort to their mother in these difficult times. I urge anyone who reads this blog to remember this family in their prayers. You dont have to know him. When Old Irish puts his stamp of approval on someone you can take it to the bank. He definately is someone I will never forget. I dont think anyone who has had the priveledge to have met this man could ever forget him either. May he have a peaceful and happy death and may his prayers stream down from heaven on those of us who were touched with his friendship and goodness while he walked this earth.

Old Irish

7 comments:

Colleen said...

That was sweet, Dad. I'm glad you had a good visit.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the report and your memories of Francie.
When I was with Mom before she died Francie was very concerned and attentive. When my Chevette died on me he went out of his way to fix it right. He looked up the company info and found that that years model was the only one with that motor. They went back to the original the next year. How many michanics do you know that do that? He and his family have aand will continue to be in my prayers. Donata

Anonymous said...

Oops, I made a booboo.
It was Francie's son who fixed the car. Just goes to show you however that some traits continue down the family line.
Donata

Anonymous said...

Great article Bob, You are absolutely right about the character of this man. He was very much like our dad, in his devotion to his church and family first.I will never forget him. Jerry

Anonymous said...

Another good one day.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Bob - No one could have said it more eloquently. Francis is an A-1 kind of guy and your tribute brought tears to my eyes. Also no one culd have been more supportive to me as I visited Francis for the last time and tried to support my friend Rose during these most difficult days in her life. I am so blessed by your presence and your love that I am going to say 9 AVE'S tonight to thank God our mother stayed in the baby business and had number 9, I will always have warm memories of this beautiful day. Thank you for your love and action. - Meg

JunesHGP said...

Bob,
sorry to hear about Francie.

Do you have any good turkey stories to share??

happy thanksgiving.