Those words, sung in Gregorian chant, were the start of the mass at the funeral for Jen's ( Dan's wife) grandmother. I have often missed the Latin Mass I grew up with. The Gregorian chant at this Mass was sung by Seminarians at the Latin rite seminary near Seward Ne. The priestly fraternity of St. Pius 10th. run the Seminary and have a church. St. Francis of Assisi for Catholics who prefer the Latin rite. When St. Elizabeth Hospital moved to a new hospital, the old hospital was utilized as a county run old folks home while a new home was being built for that purpose. When it was complete the old St. Elizabeths was razed except for the chapel. The county kept it for a while and eventually sold it to the Fraternity which have had Latin masses ever since. I have a friend who couldn.t accept the changes from the Vatican council and was happy to see the chance to go to Mass with the Latin Rite.They have a decent size congregation, mostly old folks.
I got my fix, For the chant I had sung so many times in my youth. The words never left my head and it all came back. This church took me back to the old days and after the service I became so much satisfied with the new way. The old way was beautiful but Somber and sad compared to the celebration of life which funerals now emphisize. I dont think God wants us to fear Him as we were taught when we were young, but to love Him, as he showed us the ultimate love of dying so we would have the chance to be with him for eternity if we put our trust in Him and accept His invitation to "Come ,follow Him." God is good. God is Love.
Pax Dominus sit semper vobiscum. ( The peace of the Lord be always with you.)
Old Irish
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Neat Bob!
And also with you!
God is good. God is Love.
So simple. So sweet.
Gave me chills...I love how much our GOD loves us.
Great post Bob. I am glad you got your fix and that it also made you appreciate the we are now.
Donata
Dad, another ace in the hole! I love you and your posts!
-Kellie
Post a Comment