I remember when I had a band how shannon and colleen loved to hear me sing that song. When I came to the end I always changed the last verse to "Mommas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies." Our band wasn't very good but people actually paid us to perform. It was fun trying. One night before the band one of the locals wanted to play his accordian in the bar. He brought a snare drum along so I played the drum while he played the Polka songs he knew. He had an amp for the accordian so the louder I banged on the drum the louder he cranked up his amp. Finally one of the customers turned the amp around and said here Don, listen to yourself and see how you like it! Another customer wanted to play his accordian in the bar. He knew two songs. The polka called "Come back to Prague" and "Cheers , Cheers for old Notre Dame". You can imagine listening to two songs the whole night long. Some of his buddies would clap and he would grin ear to ear and play all the louder. He thought they really loved his music. They are all long dead and gone now but they left some good memories.
Old Irish
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Remember when Mom surprised us all and took us to the 'Rooster' bar to hear you sing? We'd had chili and Kool-aid for dinner, and Shannon was so upset that you sang, "Momma's don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies," that she barfed all over the place! Chili and Kool-aid everywhere!
You forgot that you got mom an accordian for Christmas one year, then you hooked up your bass and we all sang, "Centerfold" by the J Giles Band all night long. That was the best Christmas ever!
Memories.....
Didn't Shannon also barf when dad took us to Star Wars (the original movie)? Or was that you Colleen.
I rememer Mom taking us to her Dad sing! I also like Mama's don't let you babies grow up to be cowboys... Then I married one. Too bad I can't dance to country music well though. I think Denny got a raw deal!
I also remember "I've been every where man.." And I remember Dadio singing it!
-Kells
I NEVER knew that about you guys. Or you - Old Irish - sure makes me long for a band of my own, a dream I have long since given up on since having children.
Post a Comment