Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Blogs on demand

Colleen said she wanted to see one more post from me before she went galavanting down to the Caribian. I cant do the tank trap story until I figure out which one to do. Jerry's and my version , or Gene's version which he tried to get published in the Legion magazine. Tonight I'm just bloging so dont expect too much. I've never been to Jamica but I have been to tropical beaches. On Okinawa we occasionally had a cookout on the beach. I remember one of them especially. A bunch of us went swimming when a bunch of jellyfish decided to join us. We thought it would be fun to throw them at eachother. We didn't realize that the slime would leave burning rashes on our skin. That was my first lesson about jellyfish. After we got out we drank warm beer while waiting for the steak fry. It was especially hot and sunny and the combination of beer, bright sun, and tropical heat gave me one of the worst headaches I've ever had. By the time I got my steak I was too sick to eat it. It probably would have been a good time to swear off booze, but I was young and foolish then. The cheapest beer over there was Lucky Lager. I remember their logo. It was "Its the age dated beer". I would look at the bottle and the date hadn't come up on the calender yet. But it was cheap. Ten cents a bottle. Cigarettes were a dime a pack. Quite a difference from todays prices. Well I hope Colleen and Ken have a wonderful time. I'll be back on soon with something more interesting, I hope. Old Irish.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

I'll bet the Okinawans watched you all and were extremely embarrased that the Americans kicked their butt in WWII.

Way to represent, Dad!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

The native Ryukans did not like the Japs who were an occupieng force. Our government gave the islands to the Japenese, but when I was there it was a U.S. posession. The Japs told them when we were invading that americans were savages and convinced hundreds of them to jump off a cliff and comit suicide. It was sad. Dad.

Colleen said...

Wow, you learn something every day!

Anonymous said...

Gee Dad, I had no idea. Keep your stories coming. They are neat!
-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Since your 2nd favorite daughter is not in the country to nag you to blog, I will. Blog some more Dad, you are really good at it!

-Love, your 3rd favorite daughter, Kellie