Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dinner conversations

When I was a youngster I seldom had anything to say at the dinner table. We were expected to be seen and not heard back then. The older siblings would talk with the parents, but not us kids. When ever one of the older kids said something funny, my mom would quite often choke on her food. Some times I was afraid she wouldn't ever be able to catch her breath again. Dad didn't seem to have that trouble. One day I had spent the morning watching a house under construction a block north of our house. They had it framed and were putting celotex on the outside walls. Thats what they used under the siding in those days. While eating dinner dad asked me how the guys were doing building the house. I proudly informed him that they were doing pretty good. I said they were putting the Kotex on the walls already. Thats when dad choked on his food! I had no clue what was so funny and no one explained to me why they all laughed. Maybe if we would have had school buses back then I would have been a little wiser.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Great story, Dad. With the way your mind works, you would have turned out horrible had you ridden a bus!

Bobbie said...

And I thought I had heard all of your stories. Good one !! Love ya,
Swedeheart

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you posting again. I needed that belly laugh.

Sister Donata

Colleen said...

I'd love to see one more post before I leave tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

Keep 'em coming!

-Kellie

p.s. That one beat's all of Colleen's kids funny sayings.

Anonymous said...

Uh... Colleen leaves the country, and you and mom BOTH stop posting? Geez, although I always suspected it, I know she is your favorite now!

-Kellie